Welcome to the Wakefield Doctrine (the theory of clarks, scotts and rogers)
The brainchild of Lizzi Rogers, the TToT is a celebration* of the benefits of the effort to become aware of, and share Ten Things of Thankful. (That there are (usually) things (and people, places, processes and stuff) in life for and about which we can feel grateful, and share them with this here group here. For my part, I will List the following:
1) this bloghop
3) the calendar (for the decency of having July follow June)
4) technology as manifested in cell phone cameras and, of course, these electrical computers
5) the Book of Secret Rules (aka the Secret Book of Rules) because, when you get right down to it, isn’t life about our individual best efforts to find, learn and apply Rules to help make the best of the decisions that we encounter each and everyday? And maybe, due to personal choice and/or upbringing, the set of Rules that we have available are kinda staid and one size-fits-all, so when there is an opportunity to find (and learn and apply) a Book of Rules that no one has quite pre-written, well, that kinda cool, non?
6) Una and Phyllis
7) the simple, easy to take for granted, fact that I am able to work and move about the planet, both in response to er…. responsibilities and for fun and recreation
8) something something
9) (see?!?! that! right there…. Number 8! I will take the position that while there seems to be incredibly liberal ‘rules of participation’ to this here ‘hop, the underlying attitude of participants is the basis of allowing it to be as opened ended as it is.) English translation: we are all free to submit Posts of any sort to the TToT and sometimes Posts are not exactly 10 Items, despite the very name of the bloghop. However, almost without exception, when a person does participate, they demonstrate the spirit of this exercise. I would go further and suggest that, when there is a Post in which the writer throws up their hands in frustration or, simply states that their week did not abound in gratitudinous events, that is what this bloghop is all about.
10) 1.3 (likely the first Secret Rule discovered early in the TToT), SR 1.3 is probably the better definition of what I was after in Item 9. Sometimes, (often for some of us), putting together a List of 10 Items can be…. difficult, and not necessarily because good things were in short supply, but because, sometimes (our) ability to perceive the good things is compromised and sometimes, some of us, struggle. SR 1.3 states (in part): “the completion of a List of Ten Things of Thankful, can, ipso facto, be used as an Item on (that selfsame) List….baby”
* 2 of the 4 definitions in wiktionary:
- The act, process of showing appreciation, gratitude and/or remembrance, notably as a social event.
- A social gathering for entertainment and fun; a party.