Welcome to the Wakefield Doctrine.
Gather a group of 50 couples (100 people) together in a room. Tell them that you will grant them one wish, but that wish must be to improve some aspect of their relationship. 80 percent* of these 100 people will immediately think of or look at the other person. Why is that? And who is the 20%? (who did not immediately look to the other person). What difference does that make? if 80% of the people responded in a certain way, doesn’t that make them the normal ones? Why is this list of questions continuing? Hey, is this another trick question?!
Two things to take away from this Post today.
- Most people (which means rogers and scotts) don’t feel they should change their personality
- The Wakefield Doctrine is a very useful tool for understanding another person and it is very useful in changing behavior
- The Wakefield Doctrine is for you, it is not for them
Which is the one most likely to not look to the other person (if they were in our group of 50 couples)
* There is a reason for the estimate of 80%. This percentage is derived from the (likely) number of rogers and scotts in the general population. (60% rogers, 20% scotts and 20% clarks)